The mission of the National Engineers Week Future City Competition is to provide a fun and exciting educational engineering program for seventh- and eighth-grade students that combines a stimulating engineering challenge with a "hands-on" application to present their vision of a city of the future.
This will be accomplished by:
- Fostering engineering skills, such as teamwork, communication and problem solving skills;
- Providing interaction among students, teachers, and engineer mentors;
- Informing the community about the multi-disciplines within the engineering profession;
- Inspiring students to explore futuristic concepts and careers in engineering.
The National Engineers Week Future City Competition requires:
- Team work
- Research and presentation skills
- Practical math and science applications
- Computer skills
The competition employs a team-based approach. All members of the team have an important role that is necessary for the completion of the project.