By Braulio Agnese at ARCHITECT Magazine
The American Institute of Architects has announced the recipients of the 2009 Institute Honor Awards, which recognize excellence in architecture, interior architecture, and urban design. All 25 winning projects—chosen from more than 700 entries—will be celebrated at the AIA's national convention this April.
Jury: David Lake (chair), Lake|Flato Architects; Carlton Brown, Full Spectrum of New York; Michael Lehrer, Lehrer Architects; James Malanaphy III, The 160 Group; Paul Mankins, Substance; Anna McCorvey, AIAS director, Northeast Quad; Anne Schopf, Mahlum Architects; Suman Sorg, Sorg and Associates; Denise Thompson, Francis Cauffman.
* Basilica of the Assumption , Baltimore, John G. Waite Associates
* Cathedral of Christ the Light , Oakland, Calif., Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
* Charles Hostler Student Center , Beirut, Lebanon, VJAA
* The Gary Comer Youth Center , Chicago, John Ronan Architects
* Horno3: Museo del Acero, Monterey, Mexico, Grimshaw Architects
* The Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life, New Orleans, VJAA
* The New York Times Building, New York City, Renzo Piano Building Workshop and FXFowle Architects
* Plaza Apartments, San Francisco, Leddy Maytum Stacy Architects and Paulett Taggart Architects, in association
* Salt Point House, Salt Point, New York, Thomas Phifer and Partners
Jury: Mark Sexton (chair), Krueck & Sexton Architects; Joan Blumenfeld, Perkins+Will; Elisabeth Knibbe, Quinn Evans Architects; Arvind Manocha, Los Angeles Philharmonic Association; Kevin Sneed, OTJ Architects.
* Barclays Global Investors Headquarters, San Francisco, Studios Architecture
* Chronicle Books, San Francisco, Mark Cavagnero Associates
* The Heckscher Foundation for Children, New York City, Christoff:Finio architecture
* Jigsaw, Washington, D.C., David Jameson Architect
* R.C. Hedreen, Seattle, NBBJ
* School of American Ballet, New York City, Diller Scofidio + Renfro
* Sheila C. Johnson Design Center, New York City, Lyn Rice Architects
* Tishman Speyer Corporate Headquarters, New York City, Lehman Smith McLeish
* Townhouse, Washington, D.C., Robert Gurney
* World Headquarters for IFA, Yarmouth Port, Mass., DesignLAB Architects
REGIONAL AND URBAN DESIGN
Jury: Jonathan Marvel (chair), Rogers Marvel Architects; Samuel Assefa, City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development; Tim Love, Utile; Ivenue Love-Stanley, Stanley Love-Stanley; Stephanie Reich, City of Glendale Planning Division.
* Foshan Donghuali Master Plan, Guangdong, China, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
* Orange County Great Park, Irvine, Calif., TEN Arquitectos
* Between Neighborhood Watershed & Home, Fayetteville, Ark., University of Arkansas Community Design Center
* Southworks Lakeside Chicago Development, Chicago, Sasaki Associates and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
* The Central Park of the New Radiant City, Guangming New Town, China, Lee + Mundwiler Architects
* Treasure Island Master Plan, San Francisco, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill